Today, Jan 3, I tried the Julia Child French Bread recipe for the third (and probably last for a while) day. I was confident with the success of Jan 2 that this would be easy! For whatever reason(s), it was anything but 😦
The main problem was that the dough pretty much refused to rise. I think this may have been because the house (hence kitchen) was a bit cool. It may also have been due to a bit too much of olive oil in the bowl I used. I normally smear a small amount in the bowl to help the dough not stick. Perhaps there was just too much – whatever. It took the dough some six hours to achieve the first rise, including some coaxing by putting it into a slightly warmed oven (probably only 75F). Anyway, I carried on with the full three rises (a total of nine hours) and formed a batard – a largish loaf containing the whole batch. I originally formed it as a boule, something that looks more like a flattened soccer ball, but when I put that into the hot oven to cook, it collapsed into a thick, round puddle 😦 A quick reform and some resting then created the batard.
The result turned out to be not bad at all:
Next up; adventures with Sourdough bread 🙂 I made the starter on Jan 3 and will make the first bread from it starting on Saturday, Jan 4